Sunday, March 7, 2010

Devastating loss

Tragedy came to Ironside in the form of a serial killer or killers. This afternoon I went out as usual about 2:30 to collect eggs and feed the raptors. All was okay so I returned to the house until time to do my final chores of the day. Approximately three hours later I headed out to put my young chickens to bed but was surprised to not see many as they usually run towards me knowing I was bringing their night snack of cracked corn. When I got closer I started seeing the bodies. I went around and gathered up eight bodies of my beautiful hens. I found eight still alive, three huddling in their house, the others wandering around seeming confused. Out of 33 hens I have eight survivors, eight dead and 17 missing. These are large chickens, well over five pounds each but something carried them off. Feathers were everywhere.

At this point I'm assuming it was a pair of fox although this took place in the middle of the day. I've had trouble in the past with one of my neighbors dogs getting in and killing a couple chickens but after my warning I've not seen them again. I am, naturally, heartbroken as I love my chickens. The older hens were also upset after hearing all that went on during the slaughter. They live behind a six foot covered fence so were okay but I would imagine my egg production will be down or non-existent in the days to come.

I have regular egg buyers but they may not get their usual delivery every week. Now I have to make the decision as to whether or not to replace the hens. If so, I will have to build another hen house for them and attach it to one of my chicken fenced in areas so this horrible crime won't happen again. They can't be put in with the older hens as they don't take to newcomers joining their flock.

2 comments:

  1. Susan, I am so sorry to hear the news. What beautiful hens. So so sad...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, so sorry. I hope you catch the culprit....Kimber

    ReplyDelete