Friday, July 31, 2015

Another first

As you know, I like bats and have taken care of a few over the years. This time it's an almost fledged Silver-haired Bat, a little girl. She was found on the ground in Riverton so was gathered up and taken to the WGF bat person in Lander. As I was picking up the Swainson's Hawk from the WGF I got this bat too. Not a very good photo, I'll try for better ones when I have some help. At the moment she's munching on a mealworm. Hopefully she'll be ready for release in a very short time.

UPDATE: This young bat died during the night so I will be sending the body to the state lab for rabies testing. It's just a precaution but better safe than sorry.

1 comment:

  1. Bats are so cool! I have never heard of a silver-haired bat before. Hopefully he survives and can return to being a wild bat.

    ReplyDelete