Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Two sad losses

Last week I went out to a place on Road 12 near Powell to pick up a red-tailed hawk that wouldn't/couldn't fly. I originally thought that one wing was damaged but xrays proved they were both okay. I started with fluids and then gave him some cut up mice. He readily ate what was handed to him so I figured it was just starvation. That happens a lot with baby birds and he was just about three months old.

Then two days later when I went to feed him he couldn't see. I took him to the vet and the exam showed he was totally blind in his left eye and could see very little with his right. And he had some head twitching. At that point I was convinced he had WNV so he was humanely euthanized and his body sent to the state lab for testing.

I got the results today, he was strongly positive for West Nile Virus. It is a horrible disease because the symptoms vary from bird to bird and in severity. I have already warned the home owners that the test was being done and now will contact them again and make sure the whole family uses a repellent with DEET whenever they're outside.

WNV is here so everyone be cautious and take preventative measures when outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment