Friday, June 19, 2015

Wild baby girl

I got a call this evening about a downed kestrel whose mom was frantic any time the land owner got near it. When I got there the wind was a bit strong so as I tried to catch the chick it took off. Because of the wind it was able to fly pretty well but landed in a small evergreen. Then I was able to catch her.

Her mom was also there, hovering above us as I checked the recently fledged female out. All was fine but when I opened my hand for her to fly away she seemed content to just sit there. I finally jiggled my arm and she flew off. She is in excellent condition, a chubby child who has been well taken care of so I have no doubt she'll be just fine.

Thanks to Maryann Alquist for calling me and taking this beautiful photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment