Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Hi to an old friend



Today I deliverd a Rough-legged Hawk and a Saw-whet Owl to the Beartooth Nature Center in Red Lodge, MT. They are permanent residents now and will be used for educational programs or as static birds for visitors to see.

I also stopped by to say hello to a very old friend who came to me originally back in 1991 as a six month old baby. BUSTER was one of my first school birds and when I decided to give up my possession permit I placed him at BNC. He will be 21 years old in a few months and is looking just great. Red-tailed Hawks live about 10-15 years in the wild but usually much longer in captivity. He has a mate, PARKER, who also came from me but is just a young bird, probably only about six or seven years old.

The above photos show Buster when he and I were at our annual Powwow and just today in his mews. He was one of the best school birds and I miss not having him on my fist. He's totally retired now to a life with PARKER.

No comments:

Post a Comment