Thursday, July 28, 2011

Trying to hide


This tiny baby is a cliff swallow and was brought to me by a very caring individual who was traveling from MA to CA and stopped in Lovell. When he found the little bird the nest was nearby but broken. As you know, they are made of dried mud so it doesn't take much to shatter them. The gentleman went on the internet, found my name and called me.

This young bird is trying to hide from view in my hand and altho he's a bit afraid of the big person, he is eating when I put the bugs in his mouth. Unfortunately it was the only survivor but I have lots of swallows working over the fields near the house so it won't lack for company when ready to fly away. And that won't be long as it's almost fully feathered. The bad thing is that I can't support the baby once it fledges as they only eat when they fly. Needless to say it won't be coming back for a snack so hopefully it will learn as it flys amongst the adults.

No comments:

Post a Comment