Friday, April 16, 2010

Overview


This photo is one taken just yesterday by Lee Hermann as he flew over IBR. Thanks to his talent as both a pilot and photographer you can see just what encompasses the entire facility. The main house has had four additions to the original 17'x35' old log cabin; a north room, bedroom, free flight aviary and sunroom. There are also the blue eagle and hawk flight barns with their open netting on top. The red roofs peeking out from the top of those barns are the new mews. No pond exists anymore but on the left you can see the chicken house with some of the hens out pecking around. The small pointed fenced area on the far right is my little cemetary. The single building in the middle houses the cage room for recovering birds and the rodent house where I raise mice and cavys. The bunny barn is the small red roof at one end of the blue hawk barn.

This looks a bit desolate due to the fact that Spring has barely sprung so all the trees are bare and the grass is just starting to turn green. When I bought this place about 25 years ago it looked like Little House on the Prairie with only three cottonwoods and some bushes. I love trees so at every oportunity I added whatever came my way. I won two during the Audubon tree giveaway in town plus bought dozens from the tree sales held every year. After I put in a lawn a few years ago all the trees bordering the yard started to take off and are now very lush due to the extra watering.

No comments:

Post a Comment