Wednesday, April 28, 2010

High flying rescue





It's hard to believe just what some caring people will do to help a bird in trouble. Lisa Kemmerer called me last Sunday about a wild turkey that she'd seen caught by its leg in a tree. As you can see from the photos above, it was very high and very trapped. I suggested that Lisa try to find a tree service with a cherry picker but of course it was the weekend so none were available. This gutsy lady climbed up about 30' and after putting on some sort of safety rope, she worked her way out on the branch to free the bird. Her friend Jennifer Gross was at the end of that rope to make sure both the bird and human made it safely back to earth.

I was amazed when Lisa called to tell me she not only had the bird but there were no broken bones. The turkey couldn't fly and wasn't able to use the bad leg but her foot was warm so the blood supply hadn't been compromised. Only time would tell if she would ever walk again. It happened, she is now able to stand and hobble around and will be released back to the wild at the ranch where she was found.

Thank you Lisa and Jennifer for all your help, I'm sure this beautiful hen thanks you too.

7 comments:

  1. WOW ! You go Lisa ! Susan, I hope you have LIsa's number for future daring rescues !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a story! I wouldn't have been physically able to do what Lisa did! This shows a real love and dedication for birds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa is AWEsome! She called me up and asked if I could come in my car right away with a saw and a blanket to help with a rescue. Of course I was on it in an instant -- my dad packed me up with all the appropriate rescue gear (he's done a couple in his day) and I dashed out to meet Lisa. Sure enough, there was the unfortunate turkey, dangling from one leg upside down in the air. I couldn't help but think how strikingly similar her position was to that of turkeys as they go through the slaughter line -- shackled by the ankles and hanging upside down. An awful visual image! But fortunately for THIS turkey, Lisa shimmied right up that tree and worked Sarene (the turkey) free and loose. Sarene is an amazing and spirited bird, if I ever saw one! If you like Sarene's story, please consider not eating turkeys anymore!! For more information, please visit http://www.upc-online.org.

    Thank you to all the caring humans out there!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wanted to add that Jennifer Gross, a student at MSU-B came out to help me rescue the turkey. She held the rope on the ground to secure the branch that Sarene was in, and caught the turkey once she came down. I couldn't have done it without her.
    Thank you, Jen!
    lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jen, I've reworked the original post to include your name in the rescue. Thanks for all the help.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  6. It should also be noted that Susan was essential to the operation. It is wonderful to have experts who can help us out at such times. And any time anyone needs help with a rescue in my area - any living being - just give me a call. Susan has my number. :) And just for the record, this is my first blogging and I am only anonymous because I cannot figure out the other options.
    lisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jen and I released Sarene early Saturday morning in the same place we had picked her up. We could hear her family gobbling to her. She took to the prairie with a slight limp, but with exceptional vigor. We wish her a long and joyous life.

    A big thank you to all who helped us to rescue and rehabilitate Sarene, including Susan at Ironside Bird Rescue and Karen at United Poultry Concerns. And a big thank you to my partner in rescue, Jen, who smiled with unusual delight on the morning of Sarene's release.
    lisa

    ReplyDelete