Thursday, December 3, 2015

Owl selfie

I don't know what I'd do without Nathan's help. He came out this morning to help bandage my newest patient. This GHO came from just south of town between the WGF office and the road to the dump. Obviously he was hit by a vehicle and badly damaged. His left wing tip was shattered so it had to be amputated. And his right ulna was also fractured but the radius is okay.

At this point he's in a heated room to recover from the surgery and he'll be in cage rest for some time to let the fracture heal. He will then become a permanent resident to replace SMIDGE's companion as I'm permitted for two GHO's. That bird, after being here for a couple years, decided he could fly so was released this past summer. His original injury was to feather follicles but given enough time they were able to recover which allowed him to fly.

Now I just have to think of a good name for this new fellow. I believe it's a male, any ideas anyone?

UPDATE: His name is BLITZEN and he's doing much better now. He's eating rats on his own and altho his right eye will probably not ever be 100%, he's not squinting as much either.

No comments:

Post a Comment