Thursday, August 12, 2010

Visitors on the ground


This morning when I was out doing chores a bit after 6 o'clock I heard the sound of sandhill cranes calling. Those who know me also know that I had MACALLA, a sandhill crane, living here for many years. He was an imprint so every morning we would dance with each other and we talked all the time.

Even tho this pair appears different they are the same species. The color difference comes from the minerals in the water they spend time in. It stains their feathers the rusty red color, some more than others. When they have their next molt the new feathers will come in the typical grey color.

There are no colts with them so I assume they either lost their babies or this is a newly mated pair and will produce offspring next season. It was great seeing these wonderful birds and I wish them well on their upcoming migration south.

No comments:

Post a Comment