Friday, August 6, 2010

Away he goes.


Today my beautiful baby ferruginous hawk was released right where he was found outside of Meeteetse. I didn't take my camera so will be getting photos from the various people who were there. Amazingly enough the young male flew in the direction I wanted him to go in and went a good distance before coming down and landing.

This bird came in a few weeks ago at a young age and not able to fly yet. He started eating right away and in order to make sure he could make it on his own in the wild, he had to prove to me that he could make live kills. He did that after a couple weeks so was ready to go.

Thanks to Richard Jones for doing the driving today and taking video of the event. He also took some still photos just in case the release didn't go as planned. I wish I could include the video on this blog but am unable to do that. As soon as I get the photos I'll post them.

Here's the first photo from Richard. I hood these birds to calm them for the trip to the release site. More photos to come I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment