Sunday, August 29, 2010

Empty path finally




Anyone who has come to IBR in the past three years has noticed that to go from the house to the mews meant walking around some aspen trees that have been coming up in the wonderful wavy pathway in the yard. My 18 year old aspen started cloning and altho some have come up in the grass, most did so right in the middle of the path. Because I wanted to save them I decided to leave them there to grow for a couple years, then cut the umbilical cord root from the mother tree and let them stay put to grow their own roots.

After four years I finally decided they were strong and inde-pendent enough to make it on their own. Today I dug up all of them and moved them to a new place in the back/side yard where they can grow all they want and not block traffic. These photos show the before and after of the path and them in their new home. Now I have to get the curb guy out and put one around this new area. I love trees and certainly hope that this bunch will produce a wonderful aspen grove in the years to come.

1 comment:

  1. I love the way your yard is shaping up, and read the entry with interest. We have one aspen tree that sends out babies all over the yard in places that aren't OK. Maybe, I'll try this idea! Hope your little grove survives.

    ReplyDelete