Sunday, February 28, 2016

A sharp little girl























I got a call about nine o'clock last night from a Worland officer stating they'd found a hawk under a car there in town. The bird flew off about 50' where she landed and they were able to catch her. This is COPPER, a 10 month old female Sharp-shinned Hawk. She is starving to death and had she not been captured probably wouldn't live out the week.

Thanks to Officer Sean Duffy for caring enough to catch her and call me. The weight for female sharpies varies from 5-8 ounces, COPPER comes in at 4.5 ounces. I don't find anything else wrong with her so it's a matter of putting weight back on her and then training her for release.

UPDATE: This beautiful young bird is now flying free. Because they eat birds, and because I have bazillion sparrows and some starlings living all around my place, I released her here. She took off without a backward glance or thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment