Sunday, January 10, 2016

So frustrating.....

Yesterday the annual Mid-winter Bald Eagle count took place all over WY. Nathan and I had the route that encompassed Oregon Basin, the HooDoo and Monster Lake Ranch. It was an awesome day with the second highest number of total birds seen since I started doing this a couple decades ago.

We were about 2/3s of the way through our routes when I got a call from Brad Gibbs, one of the game wardens in Riverton. An adult bald eagle was found near the border of the reservation and it was only able to fly a short distance. He gathered it up and met me in Thermopolis for the hand off.

His name is HUB and he's yet another adult raptor with problems that shouldn't be happening. He's very thin, weighs less than 6.5 pounds. And at this point I'm not sure if he sees very well. He's weak so last night I gave him fluids and this morning repeated that plus some small pieces of antelope steak.

He looks great in the photo doesn't he? The red on the top of his head is from the red heat lamp he's under. He has enough problems so I didn't want him trying too hard to produce warmth.

HUB will go into the doctor tomorrow for xrays and blood tests. Also test his fecal sample to see if he's suffering from any internal parasites.

No comments:

Post a Comment