Wednesday, June 1, 2011

JAWS (not the shark)


Today I traveled to Byron and picked up what I was told was a Sharp-shinned Hawk. As is often the case, the bird changed species by the time I got there. This is a very beautiful adult female Peregrine Falcon. She has a broken left wing that's going to be a challenge to repair but she will be given a chance. She's also very, very thin so perhaps didn't the break didn't happen recently. Amazingly, the x-ray also showed an air pistol pellet in her left leg near her hock. That must have happened long ago as there is no wound but you can feel it below the skin.

Even as thin as she is she has an ATTITUDE ! ! ! ! Her name is MAXINE as in the cranky cartoon lady. When I was taking her out of the crate to be examined she clamped onto my hand and wouldn't let go. Luckily Jackie put the end of her pen in the corner of her beak and she opened wide enough for me to rescue my poor thumb.

Her surgery is not scheduled until this coming Tuesday because she's so thin she might not survive the anesthesia. She only weighs 17.28 ounces which is very light. She's already had some quail breast with the remaining bird in the frig waiting for her to make sure she can keep that down. Keep your fingers crossed.

2 comments:

  1. She's gorgeous! I will keep my fingers crossed for sure. I got to see a male peregrine last week at a presentation, such beautiful birds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Peregrine falcons are one of the most beautiful birds. How sad that the break is so severe, at least she will be given the best chance. I'll keep my fingers crossed--and toes also.

    ReplyDelete