Monday, July 5, 2010

Black bird, black bird.....



Okay, they're not blackbirds but they are black birds. The top one is another of NOIR in a new pen and with his own tree to sit in. He's doing well and eating his meat mix. Hopefully he'll be releasable in the near future.

The second photo is of CRACKER, a young raven of this year that apparently fell out of her nest when she was very young and broke her left wing. As they are very intelligent and will eat most anything, she's survived for a few weeks without being able to fly. It took about 45 minutes of climbing up and down some pretty steep hills west of Cody to finally catch her. The adults were flying overhead and saying, in no uncertain terms, to "let their baby alone!" Luckily she tried to get away down a dry creek bed and I was able to move faster than she did and finally caught her with my net. There were a few people standing quite some distance away who saw just where she was going and kept giving me hand signals on directions to take. I know she'll never fly again but I do have a facility in KY that wants another raven to replace the one they got from me many years ago and had just died of a heart attack.

1 comment:

  1. Poor Cracker! I am so glad that you have found a home for him. Ravens are such wonderful birds!

    ReplyDelete