Wednesday, February 3, 2010

JULIE ANDREWS


Yesterday was a busy one. I got a call from a lady who spotted a golden eagle on the side of the road between Deaver and Frannie, about 50+ miles from Cody. She was great in that she parked nearby and waited for me to arrive. Lots of times by the time I get to the area the bird has disappeared. Just as I was almost to where she was parked I got a call from the Greybull WGF warden. He also had an eagle. Now Greybull is many more miles from where I was at the time but Bill Robertson is wonderful about sharing the driving. He asked if we could meet in Lovell, another 15 or so miles from where I was. I chased down the first eagle, an immature with a broken right wing, hooded him, got him into my large crate and headed for the meeting. Luckily Bill had another large crate to loan me.

The bird I got from Bill is also a golden eagle but an adult female. She had obviously been hit by a vehicle, there was dried blood in her nostrils, but there doesn't appear to be anything broken. If she's lucky she just has a slight concussion and will be ready for release where she was found in a couple weeks. Both birds have an appointment with Dr. Blessing this afternoon to do x-rays and exams.

2 comments: