Sunday, February 14, 2010

CARTER flying away



HAPPY VALENTINE"S DAY ! ! ! ! !

There was another great release today but for some reason my camera says there aren't any photos on the card. I took some but luckily Joyce Patrick did too and hers came out beautifully. She emailed them to me so I can add them to this post. They show Nic Patrick doing the honors of tossing her into the air. Nic and Joyce are the ones who originally found her wounded alongside the road and brought her to IBR. They are avid supporters of all wildlife as well as Nic being on the board of this facility.

CARTER is shown in a previous post sitting up high on her perch in one of the new mews. When she took off she actually stayed above us for the count of four then headed out. She made a couple short flights to various trees but just before I left we spotted her cruising over the landscape enjoying flying without having to stop after 20 feet. Unfortunately by the time I got the lens cap off my camera she was below the horizon and not visible.

5 comments:

  1. Susan, Thank you and Dr. Blessing for all you do. Carter is truly a recovered bird. After you left, Joyce and I took a walk along the southfork in raptor heaven. We saw 3 balds, 2 goldens and a redtail. The most amazing site was Carter, soaring a dozen yards above a golden high in the sky mimicing its every move and obviosly flying for the pure joy of being free again. Nic

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nic, for the kind words. I'm so glad to hear she was enjoying her freedom

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeay... sure hope you figure out what happened to the camera.. Love seeing the birds go back into the wild where they belong..

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like you and Joyce had a great day, outside of the camera problem. It is always so great when these marvelous birds are able to be returned to the wild. What a great feeling to see them fly away!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone for the kind words, I appreciate the support you all give me and the birds.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete