Thursday, March 17, 2011

Oh dear...


Today the old man died. Over 20 years ago I received a call from a woman who wanted to get rid of the pair of ring-necked doves she'd had for about five years. I took them and from that time, until today, the male has lived with me. I originally named them Nick & Nora Charles and of course their first hatchling was called Asta. You have to be either old enough or a fan of old movies to know these names. Nora died many years ago but with their offspring and other doves that came to live here, Nick never wanted for companionship. He and his various ladies produced many babies but today that all ended. He might have been old but he wasn't dead, his last baby was hatched in 2009. I will miss his beautiful cooing and seeing him flirting with the girls. Goodbye old friend.

3 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about Nick ! I had begun to believe he was immortal !

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is always sad to loose a feathered friend, but Nick had a good life, and a long one too. I am sure he will be missed.

    ReplyDelete