Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Happy St. Patrick's Day




I know I've told a lot of people about my Scottish ancestors but I'm also part Irish. The photos are of my grandfather, Thomas McDermott Stanton, his mother, Lucy McDermott and his father, Loren Stanton. My great-grandparents were born, as I have been told but haven't documented yet, in County Cork. They then immigrated to Canada where my grandfather was born in Raglan, Ontario.

After marrying my grandmother, Mary Burns Davidson on December 8, 1900, in Raglan, they moved to Illinois, ran Governor Lowden's farm, Sittyton Grove, then had a farm of their own in Glen Ellyn. They also raised Shorthorn Cattle, Berkshire hogs and Shropshire sheep. I have a most wonderful collection of photographs of his livestock along with the ribbons they won in expositions all over the US and Canada.

My mother is the fifth of six kids and I grew up spending every Sunday on the farm under the watchful eye of my grandfather and enjoying all things to do with the horses he had on the place. My grandparents both died before I was a teenager but my memories of the time with them will live forever in my mind and heart.

Happy wearing of the green, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment