Friday, March 11, 2011

Now you see it...


No one can say I'm overly observant. Yesterday I went out to see the power meter reader and spotted this lump in one of my trees. And it's not small either, probably at least 18-24 inches in diameter. Of course it's a magpie nest and I certainly hope that it was recently built and will have babies hatched in there this year. Magpies are very clever nest builders as they put a roof over it. Not rain proof by any means but does provide more protection to the chicks from weather and predators.

The last time I had nesting magpies was a few years ago and altho the roof has collapsed on it the nest is still in a different tree. I decided to just knock it out one day but it's very well lodged in place. Oh well, when the leaves come out it's hardly noticable.

2 comments:

  1. From Tony Faulkner

    You are a very inspiring individual that obviously shares a passion for these fine feathered friends with an equally passionate group. I commend you for your endurance in such a feat as great as this. I had 2 very young Flycatchers (I am not positive of the species exactly as I matched their description with online info) that I raised with help from the Momma bird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Tony for all your nice words. I wish I could post your entire comment so others could see what a great job you did in raising these babies.

    ReplyDelete