Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Another rare bird for me


Yesterday I got a call from a gentleman out on the Southfork Hiway, about 15 miles from Cody. He found a bird after it hit one of his windows and said it was a red-headed woodpecker. I've never had one of those as a patient so I told him to take it to Dr. Blessing for an exam and I would pick it up there. The x-rays showed no damage and when I got there I found out he'd had it since Saturday.

I gave it a few simple tests to see if the wings were working and they were. He was also very good at grabbing with his feet. I also had no clue as to what kind of bird I had altho knew it's of the woodpecker variety with the stiff tail and toe configuration but not a red-headed.

I took the bird to a local expert on songbirds, Chuck Neal, and found out it's an immature Red Naped Sapsucker. I know that sounds like a joke name but it's not, they do exist. Isn't he beautiful? I released him in the Neal backyard and thanked him for letting me see yet another unknown species on my life list.

3 comments:

  1. We had a pair of Red-naped sapsuckers this summer in our front yard. They are not as uncommon here. I have one injured right now in the house - pecking away as I type. We have been feeding him superworms though that is not his natural diet. I do wish to know how to care for her though. She has good energy and appetite, just cannot fly. Appears she lost some feather only - and only on one side. Any tips to share?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    Who are you and where are you located? Sapsuckers eat, obviously, sap from trees but I don't know where you'd find that unless you make some cuts in your trees and collect it. They also eat berries and insects. I would suggest trying cut up raspberries and strawberries, perhaps some currants or blueberries cut into smaller pieces too. The superworms are good, or smaller mealworms if you can find them. Same thing but much smaller. Or crickets would probably work if you have a pet store nearby that sells them.
    If the wing is broken then he'd have to be seen as soon as possible by a vet that handles birds. Test the wings by holding him in one hand and stretch one wing out straight. Let it go and it should snap back like a rubberband. Same thing with the other wing. If they do that they're okay. Too many missing feathers could mean he'd possibly been caught by a cat. If they're totally missing and not broken off they will start growing back in immediately. If broken, the stumps have to be pulled out so the body will know they're gone and start to replace them. Pulling feathers is very painful to a bird so you'd have to get a good grip on the body and use pliers on the stump.
    If you want to, call me and I'll give you the names of rehabbers in your area that handle birds. It is actually against the rules for you to have the bird as it's a protected species.

    Susan
    307-527-7027

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a beautiful bird! I have never seen one of these before. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete