Friday, June 25, 2010

Non-stop day


This morning started early with an 8a.m. phone call about an injured hawk up the Belfry Highway near Cottonwood Creek. Thanks to Patty O'Mara and a young man who works with her the bird was rescued. It wasn't a hawk but a falcon, an adult female kestrel. She has a broken humerus in her left wing that appears to have been there for some time. Then after stopping at Dr. Blessings to have the wing x-rayed it was back home so I could clean my rodents. Another phone call had me heading east to meet Bill Robertson, WGF warden from Greybull. He brought me yet another starving GHO. Before I got home I received another phone call about a baby crow on the ground in town. Mom was there but this silly baby wouldn't stay in the tree.

Another quick stop at home then it was out to Oregon Basin to gather up a baby golden eagle. The bird had other ideas and with the wind blowing at a pretty good lick we were unable to capture the bird. Every time I got close enough he just spread his wings and the wind took him aloft. With the heat I figured that by making him fly it might kill him so the field staff is going to keep an eye out for him. He's not strong but enough so to keep out of my clutches today.

While I was in and out of service range in OB I got a call about some baby songbirds, 3 robins, that had been taken out of their nest in a low tree. One of them didn't make it but the other two may do so. I finally got home and sat down for a bit but not for long. The next phone call was to go to KMart and pick up a baby bird that had fallen out of a nest in their roof structure. It's a starling and he's now in the box with the robins as they eat pretty much the same things.

Hopefully that's the end of the calls for the day as I have to be at the museum tomorrow morning at 5a.m. to go out on a field trip about golden eagles. Whew! I'm sure ready to hit the sack early tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment