Wednesday, February 20, 2013

It's a bird, it's a plane, wait.....



Good grief, it's three baby gray squirrels. I got a call tonight from a young lady whose boyfriend found these little babies after cutting down a tree. I didn't realize we had bushy tailed tree squirrels in this area altho in the past I've received two as patients. These three, two girls and a boy, are about two weeks old according to an awesome lady in Louisiana, Emily Winners. She is listed as an orphaned squirrel expert so I called her for advice.

I was amazed when these three took to the nipple on my syringe immediately and sucked down one cc of Esbilac really quick. I have to feed them every four hours but not through the night, thank goodness. I now know I'll also have to use a larger syringe but didn't want to overwhelm them with this puppy diet.

Hopefully they will be ready to go in about three months. By then I'll have the perfect release site picked out.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't even know we had squirrels like this in our area!!! Lets see----bird rehabber, bat rehabber, and now we add squirrels. You are branching out! LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete