Monday, May 16, 2011

It's not just humans...


Saturday I got a call from Patty Perry of Wildlife & Environ-mental Conser-vation in Ojai, CA about an eagle I sent her a year ago for use in her educational programs. Patty spent quite a bit of each day sitting with TRONA, a very large and energetic female golden and was thrilled when she got this beautiful bird on her fist. Then the unthinkable happened, she collapsed and died as she was feeding her. As this wasn't an old bird, at least in my opinion maybe six to eight years, it was very unexpected. I suggested that Patty have an autopsy done which she did on Sunday.

Amazingly enough this very healthy appearing bird died of a heart attack. The post discovered a thickening of the wall in the left side of her heart and a roughening of one of the valves. I know that anything with a heart can have an attack but this was most unusual and left Patty, and myself, very sad at the outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment