Thursday, April 21, 2011

My volunteer job








As many of you know, I do a lot of volunteering at the Buffalo Bill Historical Center in Cody. I started back in 1983 as a helper in receptions and the Christmas program. Then when I retired from my "real job" I began putting in much more time doing various projects. One of the neatest was doing a complete inventory of the Buffalo Bill Museum vault. Some of thoses artifacts were extrordinary and it was such a priviledge to see and sometimes handle them. Wearing white cotton gloves of course.

Then a few years ago I started working for the Graphics Dept. under the tuteledge of Kimber Swenson. I found my niche in picking and applying vinyl. On boards, on walls, on anything that it would stick to. And I do a lot of cutting and mounting panels and labels onto various foamcore, boards, etc. This past couple weeks I've been working on a most wonderous project, DRESSED JUST RIGHT. I've included photos of some of the sections of the exhibit which covers all things western and cowboy.

The first photo is of the very talented designer who is now in charge after Kimber retired. Tiffany Olson is an amazing young lady who never ceases to amaze me with her ideas for the perfect design. All the words on this wall are made of vinyl and placed in exact locations by me according to directions from Tiffany. You can see the size of the work.

The other photos show various segments highlighted; rodeo attire, working ranch hands wear, womens and mens "unmentionables", dude ranch clothes, etc. They are all carefully put together and the small signs in front describing all of the articles are something else I helped mount. The hat section shows various Stetson hats so people at the exhibit can try them on to see just what they'd look like wearing the hat that Bat Masterson, Tom Mix, the Boss of the Plains and others wore. There are also other interactive elements for visitors to touch and saddles to sit on for their portraits to be taken by friends and family. Wearing their Stetson hats, naturally.

1 comment:

  1. Aw Thanks Susan. You're an amazing volunteer, the best out there. I couldn't do the things I do without you! :)

    ReplyDelete