Wednesday, June 27, 2012

What is going on????



Most raptors, in this part of the country, are hatched from March through April so the young are old enough and have the time to learn the skills needed so they have a chance of reaching maturity.

Not so with these two babies. I believe HOOTER, the baby GHO is about 8-9 weeks old. I don't even know what species of falcon the other baby is, perhaps a merlin. I think COTTON is only about 1-2 days old. And you can see his size relative to a regular chicken egg.

The owl was found under the nest tree and because he's very thin I made the decision to bring him back to IBR for some groceries and then return him to his parents and the other two siblings.

The baby falcon was found under the nest, along with three dead siblings, and no parents were seen. The owl has a super chance of being returned to the wild in a short amount of time. The falcon, iffy. I'll let you know when I make a positive ID on this very tiny bird.

No comments:

Post a Comment