Monday, May 24, 2010

Eeeeeekk ! ! !


Wow, talk about a bad hair day. This is HAIRY, a baby Great Horned Owl that was found on the ground at the main office of the Oregon Basin oil field near Cody. I was told that they found an injured hawk but when I got there lo and behold this little fellow was there. As it's been raining for hours and the ground there is rather muddy he isn't looking his best. He's now in a dry cage where he can fluff out his head feathers and become the cutie that all baby owls are at this age.

He is what is called a brancher meaning he's old enough to be out of the nest but not strong enough to fly away. They spend some time going from branch to branch while practicing their flapping. Unfortunately this baby took one too many steps to the left and hit the ground. We looked around but didn't see any place where the nest could be so he came home with me. When he's dry enough and ready for it he'll go into the owl barn to be mentored by my old GHO, SEEDY. Then when he's ready for release I'll take him to a perfect habitat.

1 comment:

  1. I have never heard the term brancher, so now I am just a little smarter! Cute little baby.

    ReplyDelete