Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Long, long ago


Looking back in my archives of photos I came across this one. You can tell how old it is because my hair is dark and curly. If you look closely, sitting on my right shoulder is the first bird I rehabbed back in 1987. His name is REX and he's a European Starling. I found him on the ground after he'd fallen out of his nest. He grew up to be quite the character as I now know are most starlings. He knew his name, did bird things during the day and met me at the house when I came home from work. He eventually left for good, I was sorry to see him go. If you want to read a story about a particular starling go find the book "Arnie the Darling Starling". A fun true story about one lady's interaction with a wild bird.

2 comments:

  1. Great photo Susan.. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read "Arnie the Darling Starling" on your recommendation, and enjoyed the book. I always liked "our" starlings, but now I look at them with a whole new appreciation. They are such beautiful birds when you see them in the sunlight, and so clean too! They arrive in huge groups, and all jump into my bird bath, even in the coldest weather. Of course there is very little water left in the dish when they are done, so out I must go to clean and refill the dish.

    ReplyDelete