Monday, December 7, 2015

Another big black bird

It's rare to find an injured corvid, they are so smart and can usually get out of the way of any danger. The one thing they can't fly away from is a speeding bullet. Today I drove over to Ralston to pick up a raven that had eluded the rancher for four or five months. He just couldn't run fast enough to catch the bird.

Strangely, today the bird just stood still and let himself be picked up. He was quick and grabbed my right arm as I was taking him out of the crate they had him in. I stopped at the vet to get some xrays and found out there is a pellet lodged in his left wrist joint. It fractured his radius and ulna and ruined the hand joint.

As he will never fly again I'm hoping he can be placed as a bird ambassador along with the other non-releasable raven living here. He came in a few weeks ago. Now they're sharing a room so they'll have company and can compare damage.

No comments:

Post a Comment