Friday, January 27, 2012

Saying Goodbye





This is a very sad day for me. I just received a phone call from the Beartooth Nature Center in Red Lodge telling me that my very old friend, BUSTER, was found dead this morning. I got him as a six month old baby with a broken wing. Altho it was repaired he was never able to fly so became one of my first school birds. He died at the age of 21.

After I gave up my possession permit I asked Ruth at the BNC to take him and she agreed to do so. That was back in 2005 and he was joined by PARKER shortly afterwards. They became devoted to each other and altho they produced many eggs, none of them were fertile. I'm sure she's having a hard time trying to figure out just where her loyal mate has gone. We will mourn him for a long time.

The above photos show BUSTER as a young bird on my fist. Second is at the annual BBHC Indian Powwow showing this wonderful bird to the kids gathered around. The third is just a week before he left for his new home in Red Lodge. And last is a painting done of him by famous artist, Scott Weir, in 1999 after he visited here for material to use in his work. This is as BUSTER should have looked, both wings working and scanning the horizon. I know that he's exactly that now, his body whole, flying in the clouds, vibrant and enjoying his new freedom.

Thursday, March 8, BUSTER came home today for the last time.

No comments:

Post a Comment